Polyurethane mold release agents
Polyurethane mold release agents must be able to face highly abrasive processes such as RIM. Therefore, they must combine the easy release of molded parts with the adequate protection of the mold. Releasing polyurethane items properly is critical to ensure manufacturing efficiency and good quality products. In this post you will find everything you need to know about mold release agents for polyurethane. Further on we point out the key factors to select proper polyurethane release agents regardless of the type of industrial application.
Characteristics of mold release agents for polyurethane
Polyurethane release agents designed by AITANA CHEMICALS are based on a concentrated emulsion of high performance polymers. They are semi-permanents water-based release agents designed to ensure multiple releases. They ensure an extra lubricity and non-sticking properties to the mold surface. At the same time, they protect the mold surface from high abrasion molding compounds. Our release agents create a flexible but high resistance physical barrier between the mold and the abrasive resin compound that protects the mold surface while easing release. The polyurethane industry encompasses a huge number of molding processes and raw materials. For this reason, thanks to our partner’s support we can offer our clients tailor made release agents to meet the particular needs and types of application of them. In case you have any specific needs related to molding, do not hesitate to contact us and we will prepare an offer according to your needs.
Key factors to choose suitable polyurethane mold release agents
In the choice of mold release agents for polyurethane we should take into consideration the following things:
- no transfer (contamination) of the release agent to the molded part. This is something of special importance in the case of products involved in post molding processes.
- high amount of molding cycles after each release agent application. Easy release of molded parts.
- no emission of CFC or any other volatile organic substances. We thus achieve cleaner, safer and healthier working environments.
- chemical stability. The quality of any release agent is very linked to the expiration term provided by the producer.
- low level of in-mold buildup or mold fouling. A good quality mold release agent should not foul or in-mold buildup the mold.
- excellent gloss level and good quality surface finish of molded parts.
Mold release agents for polyurethane should combine ease release and the necessary protection for the mold surface. The physical barrier that release agents create it must therefore have the necessary resistance to abrasion. Due to the huge number of molding processes and raw materials used in this industry, in close collaboration with our strategic partners we customize release agents to meet the particular needs and types of application of our customers. If you want to know more about this topic, we recommend you read our complete guide of mold release agents.