Aluminum trihydrate (ath)
Why are mineral fillers used for the production of polymeric composites?
- to provide the physical and mechanical properties required for the final product.To a large extent it will be determined by the requirements and standards associated with the final product. Thanks to the combination of different minerals we can:
- modify the mechanical properties: hardness, abrasion, bending, etc…
- lighten or increase the weight of the final product
- improve conductive or anti-static properties
- improve fire resistance
- lower the cost of the mixture as fillers are cheaper than the resin itself
Advantages of using aluminum trihydrate (ATH) in the manufacture of solid surface over other mineral fillers
- good chemical resistance. Especially in the case of acids
- properties against fire
- easy handling that allows to repair finished products and return them to original state if necessary
- easy to combine with other types of mineral fillers. For example, in combination with the Boehmite, we can substantially improve the scratch resistance, the brightness and the ease of staining of the final product.
Choice of an aluminum trihydrate (ATH) suitable for our project
- determines the viscosity of the mixture
- it affects the catalysis
- it may cause contractionsones
- may affect the color of the final product as well as other aesthetic aspects
- particle size (granding). Very thick particles will have a tendency to go to the bottom of the mixture. On the contrary, the particles that are too thin may not disperse in the mixture.
- particle shape (milling). If the particle is like a golf ball, the resin will stick easily. If on the contrary, the particle is like a ping pong ball, it will be much more complicated.
- purity of the particles. Avoid the presence of polluting particles that can generate black dots on the surface of the finished piece.
The mineral filler most used for the production of solid surface type composites is the aluminum trihydrate (ATH). Good chemical resistance and easy handling make it ideal for this type of production. The correct choice of fillers for composites will help us to improve the characteristics of our final product as well as influence the process of production and catalyst.
If you are interested in knowing more about solid surface production, we recommend you to read our extensive article dedicated to this topic. AITANA CHEMICALS offer their clients a technical department specialized in the formulation and combination of mineral fillers such as aluminum trihydrate (ATH). If you need to improve the performance of your product or want to create something new, do not hesitate to contact us.