A proper mold maintenance will affect both a longer equipment and tooling life and a higher quality surface molded parts. A mold in good conditions plays a critical part in the correct formation of molded pieces. As mold surface is perfectly clean, molded parts can faithfully replicate the mold. High performance molding systems are based on the use of cleaners, sealers and mold release agents. Used together, they are basic tools in a successful long-term molding program regardless of the type of industrial application. In this post we will provide you with the required information about how to implement a successful mold maintenance program.
Mold maintenance process
Mold maintenance process consist of:
- the cleaning of the mold. It allows us to use the mold in perfect conditions after each production cycle. Depending on the condition and dirt of the mold, we will opt for:
- mold sealers. After a deep cleaning of the mold or before its first use, we highly recommend using a mold sealer. Mold sealers allow to close micropores and small failures in the mold surface. In many cases imperceptible to the human eye. These micropores and surface failures can difficult the release process and cause scrap and defects on molded pieces. Additionally, the use of mold sealers considerably increases the profitability of the release agents.
- the use in the daily production of a high performance release agent that protects the mold and prevents its corrosion. A good quality mold release agent should not foul or in-mold buildup the mold. If you want to know more about this topic, we recommend you read our complete guide about mold release agents.
Advantages of an adequate mold maintenance program
- better profitability and efficiency of mold release agents. With the consequent increase in molding cycles and the ease to release the molded piece. That also affects in a significant increase in the daily production.
- highest quality molded parts obtained. The correct maintenance of the mold allows us to produce pieces that faithfully replicate the original mold. In this way, we avoid defects on the surface parts.
- lower the costs associated to cleaning molds. Mold maintenance prevents from their degradation. An efficiently implemented release system is a saving policy for the company.
- more time in service of the molds between cleanings processes.
Regardless of the type of industry and application, providing an adequate mold maintenance boost overall manufacturing efficiency. High performance release systems are based on the use of cleaners, sealers and mold release agents. All they are basic tools to ensure that molded parts faithfully replicate the mold. Due to the low value release systems represent in the whole production costs, they are not given the importance they have in the implementation of an efficient manufacturing process. Thanks to our close collaboration with startegic partners, we can offer our clients tailored made solutions for their demoulding problems. We have participated together in numerous projects of this type. AITANA CHEMICALS is one of the leading companies in the field of demoulding. In case you have any specific needs related to molding, do not hesitate to contact us.